Filming near the railway

Filming near the railway (Asset Protection and Optimisation)

If you are filming on private land but near the line, you may need our permission for certain activities.  This is because we must keep the railway safe.

Activities include (but are not limited to) :

  • lighting
  • special effects, such as rain or fog
  • cranes which could overhang or fall onto the railway
  • applying fixings or covering signage.

Permissions are given by the local Asset Protection and Optimisation team.  You can find out which team to approach by using the contact map downloadable below.

To get permission for these activities or similar, you will need to make a request either via the ACE portal, or by downloading the Development Questionnaire below and sending it to the correct team (as indicated by the Contacts map). 

The team will review your submission and arrange a site visit with you if needed.  They might need you to sign a basic asset protection agreement (BAPA), where fees will apply.

Due to the high number of applications, you usually need to give 28 days notice.  Applications can sometimes be reviewed quicker, so do call if you have less time.

Drones/helicopters are dealt with differently.  Visit our dedicated aerial filming page for more information.